This course is a Cardio-Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) and emergency Oxygen administration combined into one program. Also covered will be the use of Automated External Defibrillator (AED). You will learn proper techniques to safely administer CPR, O2, and AED in an emergency situation. Upon successful completion, you will be able to evaluate a victim, provide 1-person adult CPR, and be able to administer oxygen to a breathing or non-breathing person, as well you will receive your SDI CPROX Adminstrator Specialty certification card.
This course is designed around scuba diving related emergencies, but the skills that you will practice may be applied to any real-life situation making this a valuable course for everyone.
As per the Divers' Alert Network (DAN):
"In an emergency, oxygen first aid can improve outcomes... Are you equipped? Oxygen first aid is the first line of treatmeant for both decompression sickness (DCS) and arterial gas embolism (AGE). The general recommendation is that all divers displaying symptoms that could indicate decompression illness be given first aid oxygen on the surface; breathing pure oxygen may help alleviate and even resolve symptoms of DCS."
Who this course is for
- Anyone who wishes to be trained in the basic life support techniques to provide assistance until advanced cardiac care responds
- Any certified diver who would like to advance in dive training by participating in the SDI Rescue Diver or leadership level programs
- Minimum age 18, 12 with parental consent
- Current First Aid/CPR certification through a recognized agency such as St. John’s Ambulance or Red Cross
What you can expect to learn
- Scene assessment
- CPR review
- Oxygen administration
- Use of Automatic External Defibrillator (AED)*
What’s in it for you
The student will be qualified at the end of this specialty to:
- Recognize and evaluate an emergency situation and a victim
- Know how to activate or alert the emergency medical services (EMS)
- Be able to provide 1 person adult CPR and administer oxygen to a breathing or non-breathing person
- Proper use an automatic external defibrillator (AED)
Note: The certification is valid for 2 years and must be renewed