Learn To Scuba Dive
Earn your Open Water Diver Certification today and open your life to a new world of adventure and discovery with scuba diving!
The Open Water Diver Certification is designed to prepare students for safe open water scuba diving. All students receiving the certification will possess the knowledge, skills, and habits necessary for safe open water scuba diving with a buddy, independent of an instructor or divemaster.
As a certified Open Water Diver you are able to:
- dive internationally with a dive buddy
- rent dive gear
- get air fills
- dive off of a dive boat or from shore
- dive to a maximum depth of 60ft/18m
The Open Water Diver course is broken into two parts. The first part is classroom and pool training and the second part is open water training, where you will go to a lake or ocean with an instructor and complete your skills in an "open water" environment. Both parts of this course must be completed within a six month period.
Course fees do not include travel, accommodations, air fills during the open water and snorkeling gear (mask, snorkel, fins, boots). Students will receive discounts on gear purchases up to 25% off.
Please refer to our Refund Policy for questions about rescheduling or canceling registration for a course.
- Full Certification - Complete your classroom and pool training with us over one weekend, then complete the open water training with us at a local lake such as Jasper.
- Classroom & Pool with International Referral - Complete your classroom and pool training with us over one weekend. You will receive a Global Referral letter so that you can then complete the open water training while on your vacation with a dive shop at your destination.
- Classroom & Pool Online Condensed with International Referral - Complete a large portion of your classroom training online at home at your own pace. You will spend a few hours in the classroom with the instructor reviewing important details. Then off to the pool to complete your pool training. You will receive a Global Referral letter so that you can then complete the open water training while on your vacation with a dive shop at your destination.
Pool & Classroom Training
Open Water Training
June 16-17 (Jasper)
July 14-15 (Jasper)
July 21-22 (Twin Lake)
August 11-12 (Jasper)
August 25-26 (Jasper)
September 22-23 (Jasper)
Prerequisites for the Open Water Course
- Minimum age for certification is 15 years
- Junior Scuba Diver available for ages 12 to 15 but must be accompanied by an adult who is also registered and participating in the course (it is STRONGLY recommended to wait until the child is at least 14 years old)
- Students must be physically fit and able to handle the physical and psychological demands of scuba diving independent of an instructor
- Student must fill out the medical form and have signed approval from their doctor when necessary, prior to the start of the course
- Students must be comfortable in the water and will be required to successfully complete a swim test of 200m (any stroke, not timed) as well as a 10 minute survival float. (Training is not permitted to proceed until the swim and float test are satisfactorily completed. If you're unsure of your abilities, head to a local pool and give it a try prior to registering).
- The aquatic environment: vision, light, sound, heat loss, tides, currents, waves, surge, etc.
- Physics and physiology: buoyancy, pressure, air spaces, breathing compressed air, mixed gases, etc.
- Dive equipment: selection, assembly, use and maintenance
- Dive planning: dive computer use, dive tables, decompression theory, emergency procedures
- Communication: hand signals, diving with a buddy
- Equipment assembly/disassembly
- Entries and exits
- Snorkeling techniques
- Regulator use, recovery, clearing
- Mask flood, removal, clearing
- Use of BCD (inflation/ deflation)
- Equalizing air spaces
- Decent and ascent techniques
- Sharing air and emergency ascents
- Finning techniques
- Underwater navigation
- Buddy towing and assistance
- Buoyancy control
There are no products listed under this category.