A great way to get your feet wet before taking the plunge with the full scuba certification course! The Discover Scuba is designed for those who want to test the waters and try scuba diving. It will give you a glimpse of what you can expect to experience in the underwater world as well as what you could expect to learn in the Open Water Diver certification course.
You will wear full scuba gear in the shallow end of the swimming pool and discover what it feels like to breathe underwater. The session includes a brief overview of the scuba equipment and how it is used, safety procedures for enjoyable scuba diving, basic scuba diving skills, and a chance to explore the underwater world.
- Minimum age 18, 12 with parental consent
- Children ages 12-14 must have a parent or guardian register and participate in the course.
- Demonstrate adequate swimming skills and in-water comfort
- The Discover Scuba waiver and medical form must be completed, physician's approval may be required.
- Aquatic Environment: marine environment, marine life
- Physics & Physiology: buoyancy, pressure, equalization
- Scuba Equipment: assembly, disassembly, proper use, accessories
- Underwater Communication
- Ear clearing and equalization
- Buoyancy compensation device (BCD) use
- Buoyancy control
- Regulator use, breathing, clearing, removal & recover
- Mask clearing
- Underwater swimming, proper use of fins
- Underwater communications
Optional Online Training
If you would like more information about scuba diving, SDI offers an optional online training course for a small fee that takes about 1 hour to complete and will provide you with more knowledge to enhance your first scuba diving experience at the pool. The course takes about 1 hour to complete, and can be accessed from your computer or tablet at home, the office, or even on vacation. It is a great reference tool before and after your pool discover scuba. Topics covered include:
- Scuba diving gear including mask, snorkel, fins, buoyancy control device (BCD), regulators, exposure suits, weights, and accessories
- Marine environment including marine life seeing and hearing underwater, and water conditions
- Physiology, breathing, decompression illness, congestion, equalizing, physical exertion
- Underwater skills including breathing, equalizing, hand signals, surface skills, and scuba diving
- Lessons will be held at the Grant MacEwan pool (unless indicated otherwise)
- Lesson is approximately 1 hour in length, normally held in the evening during the week or during the day on the weekend
- All required scuba gear is provided. Students may bring their own mask and snorkel if they choose.
- Students are asked to wear a bathing suit along with an old tshirt to help protect them from the gear straps rubbing on the bare skin
- Please refer to our Refund Policy for questions about rescheduling or canceling registration for a course
- Pre-registration is required at least 24 hours prior to the start of the course
- Discover Scuba Liability & Medical form must be filled out completely and signed. Approval from a doctor may be necessary(see form)
- Please register with us online, in-store, or over the phone