Been awhile since you've hit the open water? Heading out for a dive vacation? A refresher is a great way to brush up on your skills. If it has been over 12 months since your last dive, a refresher is highly recommended. A lot of resorts will ask to see your c-card and your logbook and may insist on a refresher prior to entering open water.
During a Refresher, you will work with an instructor and review all of your scuba skills including equipment setup, entering/exiting, mask removal & clearing, regulator recovery & clearing, ascending/descending, BCD removal/replacement, buoyancy control, emergency ascent, air sharing.
Please remember, a refresher is only that, a refresher. If we have to "re-teach" you all the skills, that is tough to do in a 1-2 hour pool session. So if it has been more than 5 years, we recommend either the Pool & Classroom Audit or retaking the Open Water Diver course again. Students who have done this after a long absence from scuba diving have always commented about how much they didn't realize they had forgotten and were very happy to go through the training again.
- Certified Open Water Scuba Diver
- Your last open water dive was:
- less than 5 years ago, the Pool Refresher is recommended
- more than 5 years ago and less than 8 years, the Pool & Classroom Audit is recommended
- more than 8 years ago, redoing the Pool & Classroom training as well as the Open Water training is recommended
Optional Online Training
If you would like a more extensive refresher beyond just reviewing your in-water skills, SDI offers an optional online training course for a small fee that will provide you with an excellent review of things you learned during your certification course. The course takes a couple of hours to complete, and can be accessed from your computer or tablet at home, the office, or even on vacation. It is a great reference tool before and after your pool refresher. Topics covered include:
- Review of scuba diving equipment
- The marine environment including marine life, diving conditions, and choosing a dive site
- Physiology, decompression theory, exertion
- Underwater skills review, dive planning, descents/ascents, emergencies
*Does not cover a review of dive computers or tables. Please refer to the Classroom Refresher for a review of these items.
- Each session depends on allotted pool time and will range from 1.5 to 2.5 hours.
- Any required rental equipment including tanks, weights, scuba and snorkeling gear must be picked up from the store during regular hours and dropped off after the pool session (please reserve ahead of time if possible)
- Pre-registration is required either online, in-store, or over the phone
- Please bring your certification card and your dive log book to the store when picking up any required rental gear
- Please bring a credit card for any gear rentals that you'll be picking up
- Please refer to our Refund Policy for questions about rescheduling or canceling registration for a course.
Upcoming Pool Refresher Courses