The snow tires are on, the holiday season is over and your dive gear is collecting dust.
Here are a few ideas to keep up with your diving until diving season is with us again.
1. Take a refresher- A confined water refresher is a great way to get back into diving after a long break(1-5 years since your last dive). Usually 2 hours, it takes place at NAIT pool. The refresher will not only review your basic open water skills but also help you improve them. Skills focused on dive safety, hand signals, equipment set up, mask cleaning, regulator recovery, out of air emergencies, finning, buoyancy and more.
2. Pool fun- We may not have open water this time of year but it doesn't mean we can't get our gear wet. Pool time is available regularly at NAIT pool with The Dive Outfitters. This is a great opportunity to test new gear, learn the settings on your underwater camera or refine your dive skills.
3. Join the dive club- The Alberta Underwater Council host local dive events from May-October. In the winter months they organize pool practice on various Saturday evenings at the Kinsmen Dive Tank. Meet at the Kinsmen with all your needed dive gear and certification card at 7pm. $10 cash drop in fee per person. no equipment provided. Upcoming dates include January 2, 16 and 30th.
4. Video Night- Held at The Dive Outfitters at 6 pm on the first Wednesday of the month from December to March. We watch video's or slideshow photos of various dive destinations. Most of the presentation are done by local underwater videographers and photographers. This helps new and old divers learn about different styles of diving and destinations. Topics we will be covering this winter include diving British Columbia, Bonaire, Turks and Caicos, San Diego, Alberta Diving and more. Next video nights are January 6th, February 3rd and March 2nd
Cost FREE, we encourage everyone to bring a donation for the Edmonton Food Bank.
5. Take a Specialty Dive Course- Not all dive courses involve open water diving. Several can be completed over the winter so you will be ready when you next go on a dive Trip. Nitrox, Equipment Specialist, Advanced Buoyancy control and Ice Diving are all course that are available this winter. In addition some courses can be started in the pool and class and open water portion can be completed in the spring/summer such as Dry Suit Diver and Intro To Tech.
Cost Varies, Click here for the Specialty courses