This course will help you overcome the obstacles inherent to finding your way underwater. You will learn how easy and simple navigation can be and how it will help you both above and below the surface.
During this course, you will review natural aids such as sand ripples or reef formations, which can accurately predict your route. Tools such as mechanical or digital compasses are a surprising challenge to the novice but we will help you unravel the challenge and teach the practical skills and techniques you’ll need to use them effectively.
This course is designed to give students a greater understanding and experience on how to properly navigate underwater using both natural and compass navigation.
|June 24-25 (Jasper)
July 22-23 (Jasper)
August 26-27 (Jasper)
September 23-24 (Jasper)
|Contact us for dates|
**All dates are tentative depending on AHS guidelines and the reopening of pools, lakes, camping facilities.
Who this course is for
- The certified diver looking for a higher sense of direction and orientation while scuba diving
- SDI Open Water Scuba Diver, SDI Junior Open Water Diver, or equivalent
- Minimum age 18, 12 with parental consent
- Recommended 10 or more logged dives, some of which must be recent (with-in the last 6 months)
- Cold water experience. In order to complete this course locally you should have some dive experience in cold water prior to this course.
- Underwater slate or wetnotes
- Underwater compass
What you can expect to learn
- The aquatic environment: vision, light, sound, tides, currents, waves, surge
- Natural navigation techniques
- Compass use
- Estimating distances underwater
- Kick cycles
- Pre-Course Study: Prior to the start of the course, students must successfully complete the Student Manual with IQ Review.
- Open Water Dives: With a qualified instructor, students will complete two dives in an open water environment.
Course fees do not include gear, tanks, airfills, travel, accommodations, training materials.
Navigation Course$180.00Important Details Lessons will be held at a local lake (usually Jasper or Twin Lakes) Includes a classroom session and 2 open water dives with an instructor This course is ideal for divers who are already accustomed to cold water diving The "rental...$180.00
Navigation Diver - Online$75.00NOTE: Online training for any SDI specialty courses are intended to replace the equivalent SDI paper manual. You are still required to satisfactorily complete all requirements for the course including any classroom, pool, and/or open water training...$75.00
Night & Navigation Diver Manual$50.00The Night, Navigation, and Limited Visibility Manual is the text-book literary assistant to the SDI Night, Navigation, and Limited Visibility certification course. By signing up for this course, the perspective student will learn how to build upon their...$50.00