Cold Water Diver
You are qualified to dive in the conditions that you were certified in. If you complete your open water training in warm water and would like to dive in cold/temperate water, assistance from an experienced professional will make your first cold water experience more enjoyable and you will be more likely to continue diving in the cold water. There is different gear involved with cold water diving including a thicker wetsuit (or drysuit), hood, gloves, boots, and extra weight to offset the buoyancy of all the extra neoprene. Cold/temperate water includes all the lakes around Alberta and all of Canada including the BC and Vancouver Island coasts, and as far south as California.
The Cold Water Diver specialty certification course is designed for certified open water divers who would like to learn to dive in cold water. It includes one extra pool session (or refresher) for you to practice with hood and gloves. Also included are 2-4 open water dives completed over 1 or 2 days with an instructor which includes a review of many of the open water diving skills.
Jasper (1 or 2 Day)
Twin Lakes (1 Day)
June 21 or 22
**Dates are tentative based on reopening of lakes and camping facilities.
For other dates not listed, please contact us to discuss options.
- Open Water Diver certification
- Recent diving experience (within last 2 years)
- Dive Planning: Pre-dive briefing with instructor, Post-dive logging dives including dive computer and/or dive table use
- Scuba Equipment: Review of cold water diving gear
- Weight Check: Ensure proper weighting for cold-water diving
- Review of Skills: Regulator use, mask flood/remove and clear, ascending, descending, buoyancy control, emergency ascents, air-sharing ascent, buddy towing and assistance, underwater navigation
- Pool Refresher: Course fee includes a Pool Refresher with an instructor to review open water skills plus get comfortable with hood and gloves
- Open Water:
- With a qualified instructor, students will complete two dives in an open water environment and review their scuba skills
- Students have the option to continue diving with the instructor for a third and fourth dive the next day for a small fee
Course fees do not include gear, tanks, airfills, travel, accommodations, training manuals.